The Public Private Partnership (“PPP”) between the City of Gary and AFCO/AvPORTS created this visioning document as a strategy to guide investment and development at and around the Gary/Chicago International Airport. The initiatives outlined in the document seek to position the Airport as a driver of economic growth, create a business- friendly environment for firms that require and support rail, highway, marine, pipeline, and air-oriented modes of transport, and market Gary and Northwest Indiana as a nexus of robust transportation and infrastructure networks.
Areas of Focus:
1. The Airport
* Secure customs capability
* Return of commercial service
* Market and promote the runway extension
2. Surrounding Land
* Advance road improvement projects
* Promote development opportunities domestically and abroad
* Respond to inquiries and engage broker community
* Advance Buffington Harbor, Airport Road and Clark Road improvement initiatives
* Advocate for higher and better use of lakefront properties
* Integrate long term airport access vision into pending update of airport master plan
4. Natural Assets
* Formalize GYY airport sustainable practices protocol
* Implement Rails to Trails Project
* Pursue comprehensive approach to wetland issues
5. Community Participation
* Assemble a central information resources database
* Create a one-stop website for job seekers
* Establish a regional workforce development commission
For more information and to view the document in full, please click here.
About – AFCO is a recognized leader in the development, management and operation of airports and airport infrastructure. With broad capabilities and deep experience, AFCO provides an unparalleled level of service and value to its clients including airports, municipalities, commercial and cargo airlines, freight forwarders and a wide variety of other airport users.